Volunteering for RockyGrass
We will begin accepting volunteer applications for the 2017 RockyGrass Festival on Tuesday, January 24. Watch for more details on this page. Thanks for your interest, volunteers are the BEST!
|RockyGrass customs gate|
We are in full swing preparing for the 45th Annual RockyGrass Festival. We look forward to a weekend filled with music and community here at the ranch in Lyons. Part of what makes all of our festivals magical are the folks that volunteer to help us out. Each volunteer contributes their time and energy during the festival in exchange for a 3-day festival pass.
Remember, volunteers represent Planet Bluegrass to thousands of Festivarians. If the thought of remaining sober during your shifts bums you out, volunteering is not for you. If greeting and helping Festivarians does seem like something you want to do, then volunteering is for you. We want friendly, fun-loving Festivarians only, thank you!
2017 Volunteering Specifics
Please read the volunteer guidelines thoroughly and fill out the application in its entirety. Please note: Volunteers are placed on a first-come, first-serve basis, the only exception will be a preference for previous recommended Planet Bluegrass volunteers.
Only volunteers over the age of 18 and who can commit to all 3 days of the festival will be considered. You will be assigned three, 3.5 - 4 hour shifts (approximately 12 hrs total), in exchange for a 3-day pass. There are a few positions available on the Thursday before the festival.
The following must be included with your application to be considered for a volunteer:
- Complete the online volunteer application. Only applications that are completed in their entirety will be considered.
- Provide payment to Planet Bluegrass via credit card (specified in the secure online volunteer application):
- Processing Fee: If you are accepted as a volunteer, you will be charged a non-refundable processing fee of $12.
- Late Cancellation Fee: You may cancel up until Monday, June 26th, 2017 with no cancellation fee. If you cancel after June 26th or do not show up for any or all of your volunteer shifts, you will be charged a full ticket price of $160 plus the $75 late cancellation fee - totaling $235.
- If you have already purchased a 3-day pass or a 3-day pass with On-Site Camping:
- New this year: We will be refunding all purchased tickets by volunteers PRIOR to our festival ticket refund deadline of March 24, 2017. If you have purchased a ticket, please mark it on your application and await further information from our volunteer coordinator regarding your refund. Refunds are only given for the festival portion of the ticket. So, if you have purchased a 3-Day Pass with On-Site camping, you will be refunded for the 3-Day portion of the pass.
What Happens Next?
Once you submit your application, you will automatically receive an email letting you know we received your application. It does not mean you have been accepted. All positions are filled on a first-come, first-served basis, the only exception will be a preference for previous recommended Planet Bluegrass volunteers.
If you are accepted as a volunteer you will receive 4 emails by early July.
- A confirmation that we have received your application.
- An acceptance email
- Your location and schedule email (approximately 1 month prior to the festival)
- A reminder email
If you have not heard from us by early June(?????) and you are still interested in volunteering, there may be last minute positions. If you are not still interested, please let us know and we will cancel your application and discard your credit card information.
Reminder for all Festival Volunteers
Thank you for your interest and willingness to participate at our festivals. As a reminder, camping is not included. Camping information is available here. Please direct all volunteer questions to our volunteer coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone, 303-823-0848 x117.
RockyGrass Volunteer FAQ’s
- How does volunteering work?
- For most positions, you will be required to work three, 3.5 to 4-hour shifts in exchange for a 3-day festival pass. You must be at least 18 years of age on July 18, 2017 to volunteer.
- What if I already bought a ticket?
- New this year: We will be refunding all purchased tickets by volunteers PRIOR to our festival ticket refund deadline of March 24, 2017. If you have purchased a ticket, please mark it on your application and await further information from our volunteer coordinator regarding your refund. Refunds are only given for the festival portion of the ticket. So if you have purchased a 3-Day Pass with On-Site camping, you will be refunded for the 3-Day portion of the pass.
- Is camping included?
- Camping is NOT included, but we will have several camping areas available. You can purchase camping passes over the phone (800-624-2422) or via shop.bluegrass.com if they are still available.
- What if I need to cancel?
- You may cancel up until Monday, June 26th, 2017 with no cancellation fee. If you cancel after June 26th or do not show up for any or all of your volunteer shifts, you will be charged a full ticket price of $160 plus the $75 late cancellation fee - totaling $235. Emergency cancellations will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. Documentation may be required.
- Can my children accompany me in volunteering?
- We need your full attention during your scheduled volunteer shifts. So no, children may not accompany you during your volunteer shifts. They are welcome at the festival and in the campgrounds.
- What if I must see my favorite band?
- We’ll make every effort to schedule you around your favorite band, but we can’t guarantee it. Please note on your application the one band that you can’t miss (if there is one).
- What if I must work with my friend?
- There is a section on the application where you can put the person's name(s). Please submit applications within the same week. The closer you submit your applications, the more likely you will be able to work together. If you submit them too far apart the times may be filled.
|RockyGrass tarp rush|
RockyGrass Volunteer Positions
- Box Office
- If assigned to the box office, you will meet and greet Festivarians, exchange tickets for wristbands, sell festival tickets, help direct Festivarians, and answer questions. We are looking for organized and friendly folks who are willing to help out in a fast-paced environment.
- If working at customs, you’ll greet Festivarians, check that Festivarians are adorned with the proper wristband, and gently check backpacks for glass & alcohol. This is the main entrance to the festival and sets the tone of friendly Festivarianism. This position is for people who can work quickly with a smile.
- VIP Parking
- Parking duties include greeting Festivarians, checking to make sure that folks have the proper credentials including parking passes and wristbands, directing vehicles, maintaining proper traffic flow, and assuring that folks park properly. We are looking for people that pay attention to detail, can help confidently direct traffic and can work in the elements of sun, rain, wind and dust.
- West Gate Festival Entrance
- Duties include checking for appropriate Festivarian wristbands, educating campers on rules and regulations, and gently check backpacks for glass & alcohol. This is one of the entrances to the festival and sets the tone of friendly Festivarianism. This position is for people who can work quickly with a smile.
- Libation Station
- Duties include pouring coffee and beer while having a BLAST! You must be 21 years of age to volunteer for this position. We are looking for folks that are outgoing and willing to have fun with every Festivarian. Smiling and laughing are highly encouraged while an ability to work quickly and with money is a must. There are many return volunteers for this position, so it fills up quickly.
- Meadow Park & River Bend Camp Gates
- Camp gate objectives are to greet Festivarians, exchange camping tickets for wristbands, check wristbands, educate campers on all rules and regulations, and have fun!
- Front Gate
- Greet Festivarians with a kind word, direct traffic, check tickets, vehicle stickers, wristbands, and direct Festivarians to the Box Office if necessary.