Volunteering for 2014 Telluride Bluegrass
Thank you for your interest in volunteering for the 2014 Telluride Bluegrass Festival. We are currently full for volunteers and are no longer accepting applications. We'll post the 2015 application in late November. We hope to see you this June!
Each year thousands of music lovers ascend to 8,750 feet to a beautiful mountain town to come together for world class music and a community of like-minded folk. A big part of what makes it all happen are our volunteers. Volunteering provides a unique festival experience where you have the opportunity to give back in exchange for a 4-day festival pass.
Volunteers represent Planet Bluegrass to thousands of Festivarians. If the thought of remaining sober during your shifts bums you out, volunteering is not for you. If greeting and helping Festivarians does seem like something you want to do, then volunteering is for you. We want friendly, fun loving Festivarians only, thank you!
2014 Volunteering Details
Please read the volunteer guidelines thoroughly and fill out the application in its entirety. Please note: Volunteers are placed on a first come, first serve basis, the only exception will be a preference for previous recommended Planet Bluegrass volunteers.
Only volunteers over the age of 18 and who can commit to all 4 days of the festival will be considered. There are a few positions on Monday-Wednesday before the festival and Monday-Wednesday after the festival.
The following must be included with your application to be considered for a volunteer:
- Please fully complete the online volunteer application. Please note: Only applications that are completed in their entirety will be considered.
- Provide three (3) separate payments to Planet Bluegrass. These may be paid using a credit card (specified in the secure online volunteer application) or by mailing us three personal checks.
- The first in the amount $15. This is a non-refundable processing fee and will only be deposited if you are accepted as a volunteer.
- The second is a late cancellation fee of $75. This will only be deposited if you are accepted to volunteer and cancel after our cancellation deadline of May 4, 2014 and before June 9, 2014.
- The third amount of $255 will only be deposited if you cancel on or after June 9, 2014 or do not successfully complete your volunteer shifts.
- If you successfully volunteer, the only charge that you will incur is the $15 processing fee. In this case, we will shred your other 2 checks or destroy your credit card information. The $75 and $255 deposits are only charged if you cancel after our cancellation deadlines or do not fulfill your obligations as a volunteer.
- If you have already purchased a 4-day pass or a 4-day pass with Town Park or Warner Field Camping:
- We will only refund the 4-day pass portion of the ticket.
- If you complete your shifts satisfactorily we will refund you appropriately by check or credit card.
- You will be required to turn in your ticket at the festival Box Office when you check in, in order to receive your volunteer wristband and hat. If your ticket is being held at will-call, you will need the invoice number and the name it was purchased under when you check in at the Box Office.
- If you are paying by check, you must send us 3 checks in the amounts of $255, $75, and $15. The same rules apply as if you were paying by credit card. Your application will be processed when payment is received. Send checks to:
PO Box 769
Lyons, CO 80540
What Happens Next?
Once you submit your application, you will automatically receive an email letting you know we received your application. It does not mean you have been accepted. All positions are filled on a first-come, first-served basis, the only exception will be a preference for previous recommended Planet Bluegrass volunteers. If you are accepted as a volunteer you will receive 3 emails.
- An acceptance email
- Your location and schedule email (approximately 1 month prior to the festival)
- A reminder email.
If you have not heard from Planet Bluegrass by early June and you are still interested in volunteering, there may be last-minute positions. If you are not still interested, please let me know and I will cancel your application and destroy your check or credit card information.
|The Telluride box canyon|
Reminder for all Festival Volunteers
Thank you for your interest and willingness to participate at our festivals. As a reminder, camping is not included. Check our website for camping information. Please direct all volunteer questions to our volunteer coordinator: email@example.com / 303-823-0848 x106.
Frequently Asked Questions about Volunteering
- How does volunteering work?
- For most positions, you will be required to work four, 4-hour shifts in exchange for a 4-day festival pass. There are some positions that require 3 shifts of 6 hours each. You must be at least 18 years of age on June 19, 2014 to volunteer.
- What if I already bought a ticket?
- If you bought a ticket, you need to turn it in when you check in at the Special Will Call line of the festival box office. After you have fulfilled your volunteer obligation we'll refund the purchase price of your 4-day festival pass.
- Is camping included?
- Camping is NOT included, but we have several camping areas available. You can purchase tickets over the phone or via our website.
- What if I need to cancel?
You can cancel without penalty until May 4th, and we will destroy your deposit check or credit card information. If you cancel between May 5, 2014 and June 9, 2014, you will incur a $75 late cancellation charge. Any cancellations on or after June 10, 2014 will incur the full charge of $255. Emergency cancellations will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. Documentation may be required.
- What if I must see my favorite band?
- We will make every effort to schedule you around your favorite band (if there is one), but we can’t guarantee it. There is a section on the application to note your favorite band.
- What if I must work with my friend?
- There is a section on the application where you can put the person's name(s). Please submit applications within the same week. The closer you submit your applications, the more likely you will be able to work together.
- Can my children accompany me in volunteering?
- We need your full attention during your scheduled volunteer shifts. So no, children may not accompany you during your volunteer shifts. Though, of course, they are welcome at the festival and in the campgrounds.
- What if I cannot make the volunteer meeting?
- The volunteer meeting is on Wednesday, June 18th at 7pm under the "Dolly Parton Tent," which is located near the entrance to the festival grounds. The email you receive will give some specific details of what is expected of you. Also, your supervisor will give you more specific details at the volunteer meeting. If you absolutely cannot make the meeting, please check in with your supervisor at least 10 minutes before your first shift begins. Even if you have volunteered in the past, the volunteer meeting is still highly recommended for a number of reasons:
- To make adjustments to schedules
- To relay specific festival information
- To meet other volunteers and your supervisor
Telluride Bluegrass Festival Volunteer Positions
It is important to meet and greet Festivarians with a smile and kind words! Also, have a great time!!
- Direct vehicles and maintain smooth traffic flow, direct Festivarians to shuttle busses, surviving the elements (sun, snow, rain, wind, dust, heat). Requires two 6-hour shifts for a total of 12 hours (instead of 16 for other positions).
- Pedestrian Gate
- Check that Festivarians have on the appropriate wristband and direct them to the festival grounds.
- If working at customs, you'll greet Festivarians, check that Festivarians are adorned with the proper wristband, and check backpacks for glass & alcohol. This is the main entrance to the festival and sets the tone of friendly Festivarianism. This position is for people who can work quickly with a smile.
- Camp Gates
- Camp gate objectives are to greet Festivarians, exchange camping tickets for wristbands, check wristbands, educate campers on all rules and regulations, and have fun! Volunteers will be placed at one of the five campgrounds - Town Park, Warner Field, Lawson Hill, Telluride High School, or Mary E. Ilium.
- Vehicle Gate
- Vehicle Gate duties include greeting Festivarians, checking to make sure that folks have the proper credentials including parking passes and wristbands, directing vehicles, maintaining proper traffic flow, and assuring that folks park properly. We are looking for people that pay attention to detail, can help confidently direct traffic and can work in the elements of sun, rain, wind and dust.
- Pavilion Gate
- Help Town Park campers get situated and keep traffic flowing smoothly.
- Family Tent
- Help children and their families with face painting, juggling, hula hooping, arts and crafts. Patience is a must. There are many return volunteers for this position, so it fills up quickly.
- Box Office
- If assigned to the box office, you will meet and greet Festivarians, exchange tickets for wristbands, sell festival tickets, help direct Festivarians, and answer questions. We are looking for organized and friendly folks who are willing to help out in a fast-paced environment.
- Country Store
- Run a cash register, straighten or fold merchandise, assist customers. Some retail experience preferred. There are many return volunteers for this position, so it fills up quickly.
- Compost Crew
- Direct and educate Festivarians where to properly place their compostable, recyclable and trash items.
- Check that concessionaires have on the appropriate wristband and direct them to the water station. Help concessionaires with composting and recycling guidelines and help ensure that food safety guidelines are followed at the dishwashing station.
- Beer Booth
- You must be 21 years of age by June 19, 2014 to volunteer at the beer booth. We are looking for folks that are outgoing and willing to have fun with every Festivarian. Smiling and laughing are highly encouraged while an ability to work quickly and with money is a must.