Volunteering for 2016 Telluride Bluegrass
Thank you for your interest in volunteering for the 43rd Annual Telluride Bluegrass Festival. At this time we have received more applications than we have available volunteer positions. If you would like to be on our wait list in the case of cancellations, please fill out the application below. Thanks again!
Each year thousands of music lovers ascend to 8,750 feet to a beautiful mountain town to come together for world class music and a community of like-minded folk. A big part of what makes it all happen are our volunteers. Volunteering provides a unique festival experience where you have the opportunity to give back in exchange for a 4-day festival pass.
Volunteers represent Planet Bluegrass to thousands of Festivarians. If the thought of remaining sober during your shifts bums you out, volunteering is not for you. If greeting and helping Festivarians does seem like something you want to do, then volunteering is for you. We want friendly, fun loving Festivarians only, thank you!
2016 Volunteering Details
Please read the volunteer guidelines thoroughly and fill out the application in its entirety. Please note: Volunteers are placed on a first come, first serve basis, the only exception will be a preference for previous recommended Planet Bluegrass volunteers.
Only volunteers over the age of 18 and who can commit to all 4 days of the festival will be considered. There are a few positions on Monday-Wednesday before the festival and Monday-Wednesday after the festival.
The following must be included with your application to be considered for a volunteer:
- Please fully complete the online volunteer application. Please note: Only applications that are completed in their entirety will be considered.
- Provide payment to Planet Bluegrass via credit card (specified in the secure online volunteer application).
- Processing Fee: If you are accepted as a volunteer, you will be charged a non-refundable processing fee of $15.
- Cancellation Fee: If you are accepted to volunteer and you cancel after our cancellation deadline of May 2, 2016 and before June 7, 2016 you will be charged a late cancellation fee of $75.
- Late Cancellation Fee: If you are accepted as a volunteer and a) cancel on or after June 7, 2016 or b) you do not successfully complete your volunteer shifts, you will be charged the late cancellation fee of $280.
- If you successfully volunteer, the only charge that you will incur is the $15 processing fee. The $75 and $280 cancellation fees are only charged if you cancel after our cancellation deadlines or do not fulfill your obligations as a volunteer.
- If you have already purchased a 4-day pass or a 4-day pass with Town Park or Warner Field Camping:
- We will only refund the 4-day pass portion of the ticket.
- If you complete your shifts satisfactorily we will refund you appropriately by credit card.
- You will be required to turn in your ticket at the festival Box Office when you check in, in order to receive your volunteer wristband and hat. If your ticket is being held at will-call, you will need the invoice number and the name it was purchased under when you check in at the Box Office.
What Happens Next?
Once you submit your application, you will automatically receive an email letting you know we received your application. It does not mean you have been accepted. All positions are filled on a first-come, first-served basis, the only exception will be a preference for previous recommended Planet Bluegrass volunteers. If you are accepted as a volunteer you will receive 4 emails from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A confirmation that we have received your application.
- An acceptance email
- Your location and schedule email (approximately 1 month prior to the festival)
- A reminder email.
If you have not heard from Planet Bluegrass by early June and you are still interested in volunteering, there may be last-minute positions. If you are not still interested, please let us know and we will cancel your application and destroy your credit card information.
|The Telluride box canyon|
Reminder for all Festival Volunteers
Thank you for your interest and willingness to participate at our festivals. As a reminder, camping is not included. Check our website for camping information. Please direct all volunteer questions to our volunteer coordinator: email@example.com / 303-823-0848 x106.
Frequently Asked Questions about Volunteering
- How does volunteering work?
- For most positions, you will be required to work four, 4-hour shifts in exchange for a 4-day festival pass. There are some positions that require 3 shifts of 6 hours each. You must be at least 18 years of age on June 16, 2016 to volunteer.
- What if I already bought a ticket?
- New this year: We will be refunding all purchased tickets by volunteers prior to our festival ticket refund deadline of March 11, 2016. If you have purchased a ticket, please mark it on your application and await further information from our volunteer coordinator regarding your refund. Refunds are only given for the festival portion of the ticket. So if you have purchased a Warner Field or Town Park ticket, you will be refunded for the 4-Day portion of the pass.
- Is camping included?
- Camping is NOT included, but we have several camping areas available. You can purchase tickets over the phone or via our website.
- What if I need to cancel?
You can cancel without penalty until May 2nd, and we will discard your credit card information. If you cancel between May 3, 2016 and June 6, 2016, you will incur a $75 cancellation charge. Any cancellations on or after June 7, 2016 will incur the full charge of $280. Emergency cancellations will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. Documentation may be required.
- What if I must see my favorite band?
- We will make every effort to schedule you around your favorite band (if there is one), but we can’t guarantee it. There is a section on the application to note your favorite band.
- What if I must work with my friend?
- There is a section on the application where you can put the person's name(s). Please submit applications within the same week. The closer you submit your applications, the more likely you will be able to work together.
- Can my children accompany me in volunteering?
- We need your full attention during your scheduled volunteer shifts. So no, children may not accompany you during your volunteer shifts. Though, of course, they are welcome at the festival and in the campgrounds.
- What if I cannot make the volunteer meeting?
- The volunteer meeting is on Wednesday, June 15th at 7pm under the "Dolly Parton Tent," which is located near the entrance to the festival grounds. The email you receive will give some specific details of what is expected of you. Also, your supervisor will give you more specific details at the volunteer meeting. If you absolutely cannot make the meeting, please check in with your supervisor at least 10 minutes before your first shift begins. Even if you have volunteered in the past, the volunteer meeting is still highly recommended for a number of reasons:
- To make adjustments to schedules
- To relay specific festival information
- To meet other volunteers and your supervisor
Telluride Bluegrass Festival Volunteer Positions
It is important to meet and greet Festivarians with a smile and kind words! Also, have a great time!!
- Direct vehicles and maintain smooth traffic flow, direct Festivarians to shuttle busses, surviving the elements (sun, snow, rain, wind, dust, heat). Requires two 6-hour shifts for a total of 12 hours (instead of 16 for other positions).
- Pedestrian Gate
- Check that Festivarians have on the appropriate wristband and direct them to the festival grounds.
- If working at customs, you'll greet Festivarians, check that Festivarians are adorned with the proper wristband, and check backpacks for glass & alcohol. This is the main entrance to the festival and sets the tone of friendly Festivarianism. This position is for people who can work quickly with a smile.
- Camp Gates
- Camp gate objectives are to greet Festivarians, exchange camping tickets for wristbands, check wristbands, educate campers on all rules and regulations, and have fun! Volunteers will be placed at one of the five campgrounds - Town Park, Warner Field, Lawson Hill, Telluride High School, or Mary E. Ilium.
- Vehicle Gate
- Vehicle Gate duties include greeting Festivarians, checking to make sure that folks have the proper credentials including parking passes and wristbands, directing vehicles, maintaining proper traffic flow, and assuring that folks park properly. We are looking for people that pay attention to detail, can help confidently direct traffic and can work in the elements of sun, rain, wind and dust.
- Pavilion Gate
- Help Town Park campers get situated and keep traffic flowing smoothly.
- Family Tent
- Help children and their families with face painting, juggling, hula hooping, arts and crafts. Patience is a must. There are many return volunteers for this position, so it fills up quickly.
- Box Office
- If assigned to the box office, you will meet and greet Festivarians, exchange tickets for wristbands, sell festival tickets, help direct Festivarians, and answer questions. We are looking for organized and friendly folks who are willing to help out in a fast-paced environment.
- Country Store
- Run a cash register, straighten or fold merchandise, assist customers. Some retail experience preferred. There are many return volunteers for this position, so it fills up quickly.
- Compost Crew
- Direct and educate Festivarians where to properly place their compostable, recyclable and trash items.
- Check that concessionaires have on the appropriate wristband and direct them to the water station. Help concessionaires with composting and recycling guidelines and help ensure that food safety guidelines are followed at the dishwashing station.
- Beer Booth / Libation Station
- You must be 21 years of age by June 16, 2016 to volunteer at the beer booth. Check ID's, pour and sell beer, and have fun. You must be 21 in order to work the Beer Booth. This position requires three 6 hour shifts. Please note in the comments if you have any bar tending experience and mark if you are TIPS certified.