The Songwriter Showcase is our nationally-recognized singer-songwriter competition, open to anyone who writes and performs original music, and who is not currently signed to a major recording or publishing deal. Contestants are judged on the quality of the song’s composition, vocal delivery, and the overall performance.
Past showcase finalists include Erica Wheeler, Don Conoscenti, Karen Pernick, Deb Talan, Dan Sheridan, Dee Carstensen, Mitch Barrett, Sarah Sample, Chuck E. Costa, Liz Longley, Megan Burtt, Caleb Hawley, Robby Hecht, Caroline Spence, Connor Garvey, Ben Shannon, Korby Lenker, Heather Mae, Kira Small and 2019 winner Alexa Wildish.
We are accepting entries for the 2022 Songwriter Showcase thru June 24th, 2022. The entrance fee is $10 per song. Contestants may submit up to two original songs.
Please be sure to review the Rules & Guidelines (below) for your song submissions.
The 2022 songs may be submitted in two ways:
- Contestants may email a digital file of their submission to email@example.com.
- Contestants may send us a CD (no cassette tapes or vinyl, please) with the songs/tracks for consideration clearly specified. Please ensure your contact information is printed on the CD. Please do not send any lead sheets, lyrics, publicity, bios, etc. Recordings will not be returned.
If you use option 2, please send your CD to:Planet Bluegrass
PO Box 769
Lyons, CO 80540
You may either send a $10 check (per song) with your CD submissions, or pay for your entry online here.Important submission dates
- Entry Deadline: June 24th. All submissions must be postmarked and or emailed by that day.
- Notification: July 8. We will notify all finalists and alternates by this date. Watch for the public posting of Showcase finalists around this time.
We do not allow co-writes in the Songwriter Showcase. Songwriting entries must be entirely written by the entering songwriter.
We encourage songwriters to submit new/different songs for the Telluride Troubadour and Folks Showcase contests each year. New songs will be given preference over songs which you have previously submitted to one of the Planet Bluegrass songwriting contests.
Contestants cannot be signed to a third-party label or publishing deal. This competition is meant for emerging and independent performing songwriters.
Finalists will play 2 original songs on the Festival main stage.
Recommended time limit is 5 minutes per song. Points will be deducted for significantly exceeding this limit.
Acoustic instruments with pickups are permitted as well as EQ devices but no effects.
Instruments allowed are those that can be carried out to the mics with the performer. A keyboard will be provided if necessary.
No backup musicians allowed. This is a solo competition.
To select the winners amongst the ten finalists, a panel of judges drawn from different facets of the music industry – songwriters, performers, DJs, producers – independently evaluate the performers’ songs based on our scoring criteria:
- 50% Quality of Composition (depth, insight, cleverness)
- 25% Quality of Vocal Rendering (vocal quality, pitch, tone)
- 25% Quality of Delivery (instrumental technique, induction of charismatic mania)
The winners will be announced from the main stage following the contest finals.
Congratulations to the 10 finalists in the 2021 Songwriter Showcase.