Song School Info
The next Song School will be held August 3-6, 2020.
Registration for the 2020 Song School will open on Tuesday, December 3, 2019.
- Song School goes on rain or shine.
- No pets are allowed anywhere on the grounds, campgrounds, or parking lots and cars.
- Audio taping the classes at the Song School is permitted (and often encourged). Recording devices must be self-contained (we do not provide AC outlets)
One companion may stay with you during the Song School under the following conditions: You must purchase a guest pass for your guest in advance. A guest wristband costs $230 and includes camping, evening activities and both Song School BBQs. Guests must share tent with Song School attendee. Guests may not bring vehicles on site. Guests must avoid classroom areas during the day and be respectful with regard to noise.
Your deposit is nonrefundable, but your remainder payment is fully refundable until June 1. No refunds are available after June 1.
Due to high demand for Song School camping spots, Planet Bluegrass will be utilizing a random lottery process to determine the order of access to the Song School Campground. The goal of this process is to maintain a fair, orderly load in that minimizes stress for everyone!
- The 2019 Song School campground opens at 1pm on Sunday, August 2nd, 2020.
- Planet Bluegrass staff will facilitate a vehicle lineup from 9am to 11am at the Planet Bluegrass Farm property. ( located 0.3 miles northwest of the Academy campground on Highway 36 - view map).
- Vehicles may not arrive at the Planet Bluegrass Farm earlier than 9am on Sunday, August 2nd (the day the Song School campground opens).
- To avoid a line prior to 9am on Sunday, vehicles arriving anytime between 9am-11am will receive a lottery number assigning them a random spot in the Academy campground vehicle lineup (see below).
- If you plan to arrive in Lyons a day or more before the Song School campground opens, you will need to find your own camping/lodging. No overnight camping is allowed at Bohn Park, at the Planet Bluegrass Farm, or on public streets in Lyons.
Initial Line-Up Procedure (lottery)
To discourage any arrivals to the Planet Bluegrass Farm prior to 9am and to make this initial lineup process as stress-free and fair as possible, we will be using a “random lottery” procedure for the initial lineup from 9:00-11:00am on Sunday morning, August 2nd. (If you arrive after 11am on Sunday, you will simply proceed to the end of the line.)
- Vehicles arriving at the Planet Bluegrass Farm between 9:00am and 11:00am on Sunday, August 2nd will be given a random lineup number, similar to our nightly tarp line numbers.
- These numbers will truly be random, so someone arriving at 10:00am will have the same chance of receiving a low lineup space number as someone arriving right at 9:00am.
- Only ONE lottery number will be given to each vehicle.
- Once you receive a lottery number, your vehicle MUST remain in line until the load in at 1pm. You are welcome to walk off the farm property to grab food or coffee, play music by the river, or say hello to our many farm animals, but your vehicle must remain.
- Vehicles that leave the line-up after receiving a number will forfeit their spot in line and will not be given a new number if they return to the lottery.
- Planet Bluegrass staff will assist vehicles in proceeding to the marked parking space corresponding to their lottery number.
- At 11:00am, the random lottery will end. All vehicles that were on the PBG Farm property by 11:00am will be allowed to draw a lottery number.
- After lottery numbers have been given to all eligible vehicles (Probably around 11:30am), Planet Bluegrass Staff will consolidate the randomized lines.
- We ask that everyone be back at their cars by 11am for the consolidation.
- ALL cars will be moved forward to fill in any gaps for lottery numbers that did not get drawn.
- IF YOU ARE NOT AT YOUR CAR WHEN WE MOVE THE LINES FORWARD, WE WILL TAKE THE ENTIRE LINE AROUND YOU AND YOU WILL END UP WITH A WORSE SPOT IN LINE THAN YOU DREW IN THE LOTTERY!
- After vehicles are consolidated to form lines ready for campground load in, your lottery number will be exchanged for your actual number in line. Your line number may be lower than your lottery number, if numbers in front of you don’t get pulled in the lottery.
- All vehicles arriving after 11:00am will receive the next available space at the end of the line.
- These vehicles will be given a line number upon arrival
- After the lineup lottery and consolidation are complete, you may leave your vehicle again until the Song School Load In at 1pm. (See procedure below)
Please remember: Vehicles MAY NOT ARRIVE EARLIER THAN 9:00AM at the Planet Bluegrass Farm on Sunday, August 2nd (and with this lottery procedure there is absolutely no benefit to arriving any earlier!). YOUR VEHICLE WILL BE TICKETED & TOWED IF YOU PARK ALONG HIGHWAY 36.If you arrive before 9am, we highly recommend you relax and grab breakfast at one of Lyons’ coffee shops or restaurants and casually drive over to the Planet Bluegrass Farm after 9am.
Song School Load-In Procedure
- Due to concerns from the Sheriff’s Department, each vehicle may only contain as many occupants as available seat belts. Vehicles with more people than the vehicle can safely transport, will be pulled from the line until each passenger is removed from the vehicle (or wearing a seatbelt).
- At 1pm on Sunday, vehicles will be escorted from the Planet Bluegrass Farm to the Academy campground on the Planet Bluegrass Ranch. Vehicles must remain in order. Vehicles that arrive at the Ranch out of order will not be allowed entry into the campground.
- Vehicles will be admitted to the Ranch in order according to their number. Don’t lose your number or you will have to go to the end of the line! All cars will be cleared from the Planet Bluegrass Farm lineup area at this time.
- Due to safety concerns, NO pedestrian walk-ins to the on-site campground will be allowed until all vehicles in the lineup have entered the on-site campground.
- Song School students are only allowed to camp on the North side of the green tape within the front campground and in the labeled area of the backstage campground.
- We keep this camping area limited because we have to fit another 800 campers on Thursday for the festival!
- Once you have entered the Song School campground on the Planet Bluegrass Ranch, please remember that ALL vehicles and campers must be parked adjacent to a roadway in the campground.
- This rule is strictly enforced because vehicles and RV’s can become “camped-in” by tents if they are not adjacent to a roadway, making it very difficult to leave until all tents around them have left.
- Please DO NOT stop in the middle of any roadways to unload or let people out of your vehicle. If you need to stop, please pull off the road before doing so.
- We MUST keep all roads clear to prevent the lines from backing up onto the highway and disrupting traffic!
- Please unload necessary items and move your car to the Academy parking area (about 50 yards away) BEFORE setting up your camp in order to allow others the opportunity to find a site as well.
- There is limited space in the Academy campground, and we rely on people moving their vehicles to the parking lot in order to have space for everyone!
- Only vehicles with a Folks Festival on-site vehicle pass will be allowed to park within the Song School camping area. If you plan to camp in your vehicle but you do not have a Folks Festival on-site vehicle pass, our staff will direct you to a spot near the Song School parking area.
- If you have any trouble finding a camping spot, please talk to Planet Bluegrass Staff within the campground, and they will assist you!
- All roads are one-way and the speed limit is strictly 5 MPH. For the safety of everyone PLEASE DRIVE SLOWLY.
These are frequently asked questions we’ve gathered over the years. If you have a question that isn’t posted, please email these to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Song School program is an intensive workshop experience that focuses on songwriting and its building blocks. The week is designed to allow participants maximum flexibility in choosing their songwriting interests. Each day, from 9:00 am to 6:00pm, there are elective topics in the areas of songwriting, performance, business, guitar and vocals. The evenings consist of BBQs, open stage time, and campfire song sharing.
The experience costs $600. A $150 deposit is required to hold your space prior to May 1. To register, call us at 800-624-2422 or register online at shop.bluegrass.com.
Full payments for the Song School are due by May 1st. Your deposit is nonrefundable, but your remainder payment is fully refundable until June 1. No refunds are available after June 1.
Which class should I sign up for? Most participants write songs regularly, but the program is open to all levels of songwriters. A large dose of inspiration will be had by all, even if you have never written a song before.
Check out our interactive map of Lyons and Planet Bluegrass for driving directions. If you are planning to fly into Denver International Airport, you have several options to get from Denver to Lyons. The Denver metro bus system, RTD, stops about 1/2 mile from the PB Ranch gate. Another private service, the Estes Park Shuttle, makes four daily runs from DIA to Estes Park, dropping you off at the PB Ranch on the way. The North Denver Airport Shuttle and Superior Shuttle both serve Lyons. For more details, contact these services directly:
- RTD 800-366-7433
- Estes Park Shuttle 970-586-5151
- North Denver Airport Shuttle 303-457-4646
- Superior Shuttle 303-399-2812
Planet Bluegrass offers convenient on-site camping during the Song School and during The Folks Festival. Our Ranch is situated on 15 beautiful acres of private property. It’s nestled along the St. Vrain River; tucked beneath a rim of 75 foot high red sandstone cliffs. We also have a bathhouse, which offers indoor toilets, sinks and showers.
We do not allow any vehicles over 21feet in our on-site campground. If you would like to bring a vehicle larger than that, you will need to purchase a separate RV pass at LaVern Johnson Park.
Yes, we offer camping at LaVern Johnson (Meadow) Park across the street from our Ranch. This campground is operated by the town of Lyons until Monday morning when Planet Bluegrass takes over. If you display a Meadow Park camping and vehicle pass for the Folks Festival, you may stay for the Song School for no additional charge.
You may camp in a tent or vehicle free of charge while attending the Song School in the designated Song School camping area. To stay on-site during the festival you will need to purchase a three-day festival pass with on-site camping privileges. Vehicles and RVs require additional passes during the festival, separate from the per-person camping pass. If you are not staying for the festival you will be asked to move your vehicle out of the campground Thursday to accommodate festival campers moving in.
Song School campers who have festival and on-site camping passes can set up and stay in the same campsite once the Song School has ended. Buy your festival, camping and vehicle passes ASAP before they sell out. You will be required to move your vehicle on Thursday and move your campsite on Friday morning by 9:00am if you do not have festival camping passes. If you do not need to camp with your vehicle for the festival, you may park it in a secured lot for the weekend.
The Song School campground opens at 1pm on Sunday. You may check in and pick up Song School materials from 2:00 PM - 6:00 PM on Sunday and on Monday morning starting at 8:00 AM.
Sorry, no pets are allowed on site. Here is a list of some local kennels:
- Camp Bow Wow Boulder (3631 Pearl St, Boulder, CO 80301-2423) - (303) 442-2261
- Arapahoe Animal Hospital & Boarding Kennels (5585 Arapahoe Ave, Boulder, CO 80303-1334) -
(303) 442-7033 / www.arapahoeanimalhospital.com
- Cottonwood Kennels (7275 Valmont, Boulder, CO 80301-4715) - (303) 442-2602 / www.cottonwoodkennels.com
- Whispering Pines Pet Resort (14360 N 83rd St, Longmont, CO 80503-9215) - (303) 776-3907 /
- Windstar Kennels (14077 Weld County Road 5, Longmont, CO 80504-9642) - (303) 485-2176 /
- Longs Peak Animal Hospital - (303) 776-6666
- Canine Campovers LLC (Boulder County) - (303) 998-1111 / www.caninecampovers.com